30 Aug. 2008 15:58:05 / requirements and recommendations in english?
hey,
i'm someone whos hopefully going to be participating at the next polylan , problem though is that although my french is quite good, i'm not sure i'm interpreting all the instructions correctly :? , so here i am to see if any1 can translate some stuff for me :p (this is for me as well as 4 friends who want to come to the next lan )

1.to be legible for participation, do you need to register onto the website?
2.how long would you recommend the ethernet cable to be? i've read 10m somewhere but i'm not sure.
3.What has me confused the most is the talk about certificates in your security sections, first the Polylan-CA which it says if available on the website, i can't find it at all , and same thing for the “personall” certificate i dont even understand where to look. all i found out was “you find it and install it” (perhaps they will be released when the signing up is opened )
4. Are we required to bring anything special apart from
Pc Tower (+ Power Cable)
Monitor (+Power Cable, Video cable to the Pc)
Mouse
Keyboard
Headset+Microphone
Ethernet Cable (Which kind should it be? a so-called “double ethernet cable” meaning having an ethernet plug on both ends…
any other information (if of course there is anything to be given out at this moment as mentioned i wasn't quite sure if i understood everything) would be appreciated and passed on
thanks
Karl “Tassadar” Wikström, Counterstrike:Source player
30 Aug. 2008 16:08:46 / requirements and recommendations in english?
sorry i thought i was signed in when i wrote that message, but oh well, just to add to the ethernet cable “bit”, the reason i'm asking is because i currently have some weird one that allows me to plug in the internet in any room (with a special socket) and then plug it into my modem in our cellar, not quite sure what its called but it's only got an ethernet plug on one side so if you require another kind (which i assume you do) then i'll have to go out and buy one ASAP
Thanks
Karl “Tassadar” Wikström, Counterstrike:Source Player
01 Sep. 2008 09:27:26 / requirements and recommendations in english?
An ethernet cable has two ethernet plugs. You just have a cable modem cable. To be sure it's long enough wherever you get to be seated, 10m is the recommended length.

You must register on the website, then pay in advance (e.g. using PayPal) in order to confirm your registration and be eligible to participate. We close registrations when the number of confirmed people is deemed high enough. We were full at the last 3 events.

For security I don't know what has been decided yet, but whatever the solution, you will need to register before we give you the URL that generates either the certificate or the password.
01 Sep. 2008 23:07:29 / requirements and recommendations in english?
so basically, we register first, then pay? or do we pay from (e.g. paypal/bank transfer) and say which account(s)/person(s) this should effect first?
03 Sep. 2008 10:09:12 / requirements and recommendations in english?
The steps are the following :

1) Create an account on the website (this is a different registration than the one for the forum)
2) Register for PolyLAN 12, specifying if you are coming just for fun or to play in one of the major tournaments (registrations will open in the coming weeks)
3) Pay (preferably using PayPAL, or at EPFL directly if you can since its cheaper), specifying for which account/person you are paying
4) Wait for us to confirm your registration (1-2 days max)
5) Simply come to PolyLAN, tell us your name, we'll verify your registration is confirmed and you can then setup your computer in one of the zones we will have reserved for you
03 Sep. 2008 18:58:11 / requirements and recommendations in english?
sideral
2) Register for PolyLAN 12, specifying if you are coming just for fun or to play in one of the major tournaments (registrations will open in the coming weeks)

So if we're playing in a major tournament (want to play 5 man Counterstrike: Source and have a team, do i need to specify their account names/real names and get them registered too)
-> so like if i say that i'm in 5 man and i have my team would u reserve a space for 5 then? or do we need to join in induvidually and then come together…
->could i place a payment from my account to affect several? (e.g. if registration is 5 chf, could i pay 25 chf and specify which accounts this should affect, so that i could pay for my friends/teammembers)
04 Sep. 2008 10:36:16 / requirements and recommendations in english?
You need 5 different accounts for each of the 5 players, however we won't stop you from creating them all yourself. When you register for the tournament you can specify a name for your team, giving us the cue you're coming together.

Then, when you pay, you can specify the “quantity” you want (i.e. 5), and in the comments you just say for whom you're paying. We'll confirm all 5 of you and make sure you get to sit together at the event.
09 Sep. 2008 22:17:04 / requirements and recommendations in english?
just thought of another one
in terms of communication in game for example css (since that is our area of interest)…
SHOULD we use teamspeak or ventrillo as our means of communication or should we use the in game chat (or does it not matter?)
thx
10 Sep. 2008 16:28:09 / requirements and recommendations in english?
We have a teamspeak server available at the lan for your team to use…
22 Sep. 2008 15:45:03 / requirements and recommendations in english?
just got one more question now regarding the payment ^^

can we reserve 5 places and pay when we get there (on the actual day when polylan starts)? or do can we only “prepay”(paying when reserving) so to speak
22 Sep. 2008 16:31:59 / requirements and recommendations in english?
In my first answer, I wrote:

We close registrations when the number of confirmed people is deemed high enough. We were full at the last 3 events.

Meaning you'd better pay in advance if you actually do want to participate, otherwise chances are we'll be full by the time you arrive. During the last 2 editions 100% was confirmed before the event.